Saturday, July 25, 2020

Bun's Story - Part 3


Nothing overly notable happened for a while, except my almost 1 year old son’s first word.  I was in Bun’s room, holding her and he walked up to the baby gate at the entrance to the room.  I asked him who I was holding and he said “beh-beh”.  I made him say it again and he did and every time I pointed to a bunny (in a book or Bun), he would repeat “beh-beh”. My son’s first word was bunny.  This is what I had always hoped for.  As Jake got bigger, I’d let him spend more time in the room with Bun.  He loved helping feed her and giving her treats.  When we’d put her away for the night (because bunnies can’t be trusted…it’s a fact, google it), he’d always give her a hug and a kiss.
I don’t recall the exact day, but I do know Bun went through another episode of stasis and had to be fed critical care and other medications for a little while, but other than being scary at the moment, it was overall uneventful.  On August 31st, 2019, I took Bun back to the vet because I noticed a little squiggle in her left eye.  Needless to say, I was paranoid about eyes by this point and was worried she would end up losing her other eye and instead of being a pirate, she’d be blind.  The vet told me not to worry and that it just looked like beginning stages of cataracts.  So what did I do when I got home?  Googled blind bunnies.  I guess I would just cross that bridge when I got there.

We gave Bun an arbitrary birthday of December 1st, 2013 when I first started filling out paper work for various vets.  We celebrated her 6th birthday the same way I did her 1st birthday; with a giant veggie pile and pictures in a homemade party hat that she clearly disapproved of [picture].  By the end of December, the whole world started talking about Coronavirus.  As far as we knew, it hadn’t made it to the US yet, but it was only a matter of time.  The end of February started getting pretty interesting as things were starting to ramp up.  Vulnerable people were supposed to work from home, people suddenly realized they needed to wash their hands (why was this a new thing?) and it was suggested we wear masks in public places.  By mid-March, we had gotten word that my work was closing down in person operations and everything was to be done remotely.  As scary as the virus was, I was looking forward to some quality Bun time because her room is the office where the computer I would be using was.

Sunday, March 22nd, 2020, I woke up and fed Bun and gave her some loves like I always do in the morning.  I noticed a couple extra pellets were still in her dish and her hay wasn’t as low as I would expect it to be, but I just chalked it up to Jake giving too much food the night before because he was insistent he feed her.  I can’t remember what I did that day, but I ended up back home sometime after 10:30 pm and went to tuck Bun in for the night and give her the rest of her allotted food.  It didn’t look like she had touched any of her food, water or hay.  I tried giving her a treat, but she didn’t even want that.  I started to panic that it was stasis again and how long had she been like this and I didn’t realize it?  I called her vet (who has an on call doctor) and asked what I should do.  I still had critical care at home from the last time in case she needed to be fed something or I could bring her in.  For my piece of mind, I drove the hour North to Bothell at 1:00am to bring her in.  Due to Covid restrictions, I had to wait in the car while they examined Bun and wait for a phone call from the doctor for the findings.
Jake giving Bun some lovin
The little squiggle I saw
Bun's 6th birhtday!




No comments: