Thursday, June 12, 2014

Little Puffs of Heaven

Per the recommendation of my coworker, we went to Leonard’s Bakery to try malasadas.  Best.  Recommendation.  Ever.  Malasadas are Portuguese doughnuts that are like little puffs of heaven.  I can’t even begin to describe how delicious they were.  Seriously, go to Hawaii and buy them, it’s worth the trip.  We still had some time to kill before we traveled round the island again so we went to Punchbowl National Cemetery to look up a few names from Jeremy’s family.  Not only was it astounding to think that people were buried inside of a crater, but there were walls of names of soldiers who died and haven’t been found yet.




That afternoon we trekked to the Polynesian Cultural Center.  We first went to the village of Samoa and learned quite a few things about coconuts.  The presenter was hilarious yet informative.  I tried my hand at making fire from two pieces of wood and got a reasonable smoke going.  I feel that in a situation that lacked man made fire making abilities, I could do it old school.  We also went “fishing” with a stick, a string and a bent wire.  We weren't successful, but we only had three chances to try to catch a fish.  After all of the village festivities were over, we made our way to the luau.  Nothing was remarkable about the food (except I tried poke for the second time and still liked it) and the emcee was like a cheesy lounge entertainer.  After we had stuffed our face, we made our way to the gift shop to indulge my needs.  Seriously, we had like an hour to kill before the show, what else would you expect from me?  Anyway, the show (basically a story through dance) was pretty cool, my favorite part was the fire dancing because I like fire and dancing.  I think out of everything I did at the PCC, the show was my favorite part.

No comments: