Thursday, June 12, 2014

Just Your Average Tuesday

Tuesday was a delightful little day.  We started out by driving 13 miles in the wrong direction for a turnaround thanks to the Waze app which meant we missed the breakfast we planned on having while we were at the North Shore.  A+ for me packing a PB&J for lunch that way we actually had something to eat.  What were we doing on the North Shore you ask; you know, just hanging out in the middle of the ocean in a metal cage, surrounded by sharks, the usual Tuesday.  First and foremost, the surf was incredibly choppy and 3 people provided nature’s chum on the trip (not Jeremy or myself).  Being in the water just holding onto the cage, you got thrown around a bit.  There were quite a few sharks swimming all around the cage, none came up to nudge the cage which I had hoped for (sorry mom, it’s true though).  Jeremy, who isn't big on the whole being in water thing, actually was in the cage with me which was awesome.  Forgot to plan ahead though and the mustache was creating an issue with sealing the mask…on him, not me; I have no mustache.

While the boats aren't allowed to specifically chum for the sharks, the sharks do attribute food to boats.  When boats originally went out there to fish/crab, they’d throw leftover bait and too small of catch overboard prompting the sharks to come eat.  Over time, the sharks learned that the vibration of the boats typically meant food.  I’m a little concerned looking back that they expected food and we showed up in a cage…  Food or not, it was not a shark petting expedition as the tour guides explained, but it was a great time for the once in a lifetime photo op. (I count 6 in this picture)


After the shark-capades I led Jeremy to what he thought was a random beach, Mokule’ia Beach.  Why was this beach so important for me to go visit?  Insert LOST reference now – that’s where the pilot episode of Lost was filmed (plane crash obviously).  I totally geeked out taking a million pictures and may have left with a little trinket of sand.  On the drive back from where we came, we passed by Camp Erdman, where the houses that “the other’s” lived in.  We didn't stop, but I snapped a series of pictures passing by.

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful, we took a nap, ate some late lunch at Tiki’s (reasonable food, delightful view) and frankly, I don’t remember if we did anything else.

No comments: