Saturday, July 25, 2009

Dive Computer

I made my very first dive computer purchase on June 16, 2008. Yes, 2008. After minimal research, I opted for the Aeris Manta watch. I did buy the blue one as pictured.
Since my purchase, I have only used my computer on 3 dives, 2 of which were in Mexico on the same day. It wasn't until about 30 minutes ago that I actually installed the software so I could download my dives onto my computer.

Operation: I don't feel that I have enough dives with the Manta to make a fair judgement on how it operates.
Why purchased?: I was drawn to the Manta due to its price, size (looks more like a large watch than a huge wrist growth) and ability to download dive information to my home computer.
Dive Log Software: The jury is still out. I haven't had the chance to experiment with other computers (and programs) so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm not sure if it's due to the unfamiliarity of the program, but I am having minor difficulties figuring everything out. But I do like the program as far as calculating SAC Rate and auto completing depth, time and temperature. I also found out there is a chart that compares your depth vs time. My chart was a little jagged, but I feel challenged to dive more so I can make my lines smoother.

Overall, I seem to be happy with my purchase. I do wish I had the money to buy an air integrated (or even a hoseless air integrated) computer to track my actual air consumption vs overall air consumption. With any luck, I'll get a few more dives under my belt by the end of summer and I can play with the computer and the dive log more.

No comments: