Monday, September 7, 2009

Last Week in Food

Everybody is a little bit different when they have a house to themselves for a week. What do I do? I cook. Here is what I made:

1. Chicken Piccata from the CPK Family Cookbook
2. A checkerboard birthday cake for Wally using the Wilton Checkerboard Pan and the recipe on the box (frosting was Betty Crocker)
3. My Aunt Judy's semi-secret chocolate chip cookies.
4. Peanutty Somen Noodles with Shrimp courtesy of Robin Miller on the Foodnetwork.
5. Overnight Cinnamon Rolls courtesty of Alton Brown on the Foodnetwork.
6. Tacos.
7. My semi-famous sketti.

Honorable mention: Pizza Hut, pot roast from QFC, chinese take out from Peking Wok and a Freschetta frozen pizza.

Didn't cook, but was on list: Thai Chicken Pizza (CPK cookbook) and biscuits & sausage gravy.

Reviews:
1. I worked too hard to make the chicken thin enough and made a big mess while frying. The sauce with the noodles was phenomenal! I grated some asiago over the top and it intensified my taste bud satisfaction.
2. The cake didn't taste as delicious as the first one I made a week ago, but it was still yummy. See my last post for a picture.
3. It's only a semi-secret recipe because you can ask her and I'm sure she would tell you. I didn't think they tasted as delicious as my Aunt Judy's did. Will definitely try again.
4. I substituted chicken for the shrimp because I had chicken. I also tossed edamame in at the end and left out the bell pepper. It was a good recipe overall. Better to eat fresh than reheated.
5. I followed the directions to a T, I even measured by weight (I hope you're happy Alton). I personally didn't like the cinnamon rolls. Jeremy and his coworkers thought they were amazing. To each their own.
6. My tacos are very generic. McCormick taco seasoning & beef, a can of refried beans, Old el Paso Mexican Rice, cheddar cheese, sour cream and tortillas. Just add Mike's Hard Lime and you have a mini fiesta!
7. Ah, my semi-famous sketti (spaghetti if you missed out on my family tradition). It is only semi-famous because those who have eaten it, love it and crave it. It may not be the best recipe out there for spaghetti, but it is family loved!

No comments: