Thursday, January 21, 2010

Not The Mamma!

The recent outbreak of parasitic humans (babies) has caused me to do some in depth thinking about the idea of creating fruit from my loins.

In my current state, mid twenties, unmarried, part part-time job and living with the same roommates for the last 24 (almost 25) years, I do not wish to have a child, nor do I see the want for a mini-me anytime in the next 50 years.

"But don't you want a little girl who looks just like you to dress up in pretty dresses?"
No, I wouldn't want to subject a child to that because I remember how I hated being "dressed up" as a younger child and all of the issues in terms of body image that a girl faces throughout life.
"But don't you want grandchildren?"
No, if I don't want children, why would I want grandchildren?
"But don't you want to pass on your genes?"
No, I don't want the 50% increased risk of my child having a mental disorder, I have trouble with one myself, how the heck would I ever deal with another individual?

It is a known fact that I would rather have a dog than a child. Here is my side by side comparison of the two from my perspective:
Food
Dog-eats the same thing (dry kibble) all of it's life and usually costs about $30 per month. Food only needs to be given twice a day.
Kid-diet progressively changes throughout life including quantity consumed. Food must also be prepared a minimum of 3 times a day.
School
Dog-obedience class is optional.
Kid-grades K-12 then college. The child must have school supplies, school uniforms, lunches packed, etc.
Clothing
Dog-optional and fun!
Kid-required and they grow out of whatever clothes they have sooner than you can get them home from the store.
Babysitter?
Dog-can put in a kennel most of the day or spend money to board them. Able to leave for a few hours in a moment's notice.
Kid-have to coordinate schedules with families, babysitters or day cares.

I am under impression that a dog can provide just as much love as a kid and Christmas and birthdays are a wash because I spoil my dogs. With a dog, I wouldn't have to worry about driver's ed, prom, those terrible teenage years, trying out for sports, the nights spent crying over a lost "love," etc.

As for the physical aspects. Why would I want to subject my body to carrying a parasite for 9 months that causes me to gain extra weight (when I can't even get it off in the first place), over time puts pressure on my bladder and squeezes all of my internal organs in my chest further up so it makes breathing more difficult. Add all of this to increased mood swings, strange cravings and lets not forget the act of birthing (whether natural or surgical).

If you have taken this all into consideration and you still want a kid, good for you, I don't. I'm fairly certain even if I don't reproduce, there will still be enough children in the world to create more and more generations. Get rid of the need for orphanages and foster homes because there are enough parents in the world for children, then we'll talk.

No comments: