Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Aloha!

Saturday marked the beginning of our excursion to an island of relaxation; also known as Maui in this case.  The flight was long and tolerable and Indy & Joe did awesome as there was only 1 meltdown a piece which lasted less than a minute.  I'm very happy with Hawaiian Airlines as we not only got our beverage service (with snack bag), but we actually got a free lunch (over cooked, yet flavorful noodle dish with salad and macadamia nut bar) AND free glass of wine!  Katie didn't drink her wine so I got two glasses and let me say, the second half of the flight was laid back.

Both Jeremy and I spent the money to get the "all you can watch" tv/movie package (limited shows) and since Saturday, have had the American Dad theme song stuck in our heads.

Saturday was sort of a bust day as it was full of travel, grocery shopping and just plain figuring out what is going on.  Sunday, however, was spent at the beach.  There is probably a name for the beach we went to, but frankly, it didn't matter.  The view (as pictured below) was spectacular, the water was warm and the sand didn't want to come off of our skin.  Both Indy & Joe had a good time playing in the water and of course getting completely covered in sand.  We only did a small amount of snorkeling at this beach and saw a puffer fish and a trigger fish.  There was a few others, but they did not make my notable fish list...or perhaps I've forgotten the names, but whatever.




Sunday evening was spent at the Old Lahaina Luau.  Being as it was our first time in Hawaii, this was our first luau.  We were met with Mai Tais at the door and the drinks never stopped coming.  A majority of the menfolk who were with us consumed enough liquor to make the free bar worth it.  Not having had a lot of experience with authentic Hawaiian food, I will say this.  I found the buffet to taste pretty good.  I did end up trying the Ahi Poke and was delightfully surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  I tried the Poi and by itself, it tasted like flour water and with the salty Kalua pork, it wasn't that bad.  As per the wisdom of a coworker, I would like to note that we were indeed served Lomi Lomi tomato.

After dinner, we watch a show filled with hula, drums and stories of the Hawaiian culture.  While it was fun to watch, being seated on the ground was a little rough.  The plate of desserts did help keep my mind off of the body parts that were cramping and/or asleep.


Perhaps I could spend more time writing and proof reading this post, but frankly, I'm just proud of my self for getting this written before the trip ended.  Stay tuned for a post covering the adventures of Monday and Tuesday!

No comments: