Friday, February 20, 2009

We've Filled The Position...

Its been 5 years since I graduated high school and I have a 2 year degree, I work part time in a dive shop and I had 3 foot surgeries in a 6 month period. I've been looking for a real (full-time) job since August of 2007. I've sent out at least 10 resumes/cover letters or applications a week. I've had 6 interviews and only 1 place offered me a job, but the location wouldn't have worked for me.
Almost all employment ads say they want "3+ years of experience" or some form of that. I don't have experience in that setting, but I'm proficient on 90% of the qualifications (computer programs). I learn new systems fast, crap, I'm in charge of teaching other employees the point of sale system! I learned about the point of sale system by reading the manual. None of this matters to potential employers though. It doesn't matter how smart I am, how quickly I learn, I don't know their system and they are too lazy to teach me. I'm a firm believer that experience is overrated. By the way, how the hell am I supposed to get experience if I can't get hired? I'm trying to find a clerical/data entry type job because I can't stand on my feet for more than 20 minutes and I can't lift much weight, oh, and I actually enjoy sitting at a desk all day typing.
In a nutshell, I have a 2 year degree (which doesn't mean crap anymore), I have a part-time job that doesn't even pay my bills (I live at home, so I have no rent either!) and I can't get hired because I don't have the experience, but I have knowledge (including common sense) and the desire to work hard, but that doesn't matter to potential employers.

No comments: